Česká komora autorizovaných inženýrů a techniků činných ve výstavbě


Working as an Engineer in Working as an Engineer in Europe

Working as an Engineer in Working as an Engineer in Europe

Working as an Engineer in Europe
A guide to recognition under EU legislation

Oivind Grimsmo, Area Manager Europe
3rd edition – October 2005

This guide covers recognition under the so-called “First General System”, which covers protected titles and professions at the level of “Chartered Engineer” or “Incorporated Engineer” in the UK. There is a separate set of rules for titles and professions under the “Second General System”, which includes the level of “Engineering Technician” in the UK.
The rules apply to all the current 25 EU Member States and to the four EFTA countries Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
Disclaimer: While every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of the information contained in this document, ICE cannot be held responsible for any problems arising due to errors in the information provided.


Basic principles

The right to live and work in another EU member state is a fundamental right for every citizen of the European Union. In order to facilitate the mobility of professionals, the EU has put in place legislation to ensure that professional qualifications are recognised on a mutual basis between all Member States, the reason being that certain professions or titles are protected in some or all EU countries.
The basic principle of mutual recognition is that, if you are entitled to practice a regulated profession in your own country, you should be able to practice the same regulated profession in any other EU country and use the appropriate title. Also, even if your profession is not regulated in your home country, you should still be able to practice in a Member State where it is regulated, provided you can provide proof of satisfactory education and professional experience.
With regard to engineering, the situation varies between the EU Member States. Basically, there are three different regimes:
  • The engineering profession is not regulated and no title is protected. This is the case in Belgium.
  • Registration is not obligatory. However, certain titles, whether academic or professional , are protected, and may be necessary in order to carry out certain functions. Recognition is needed in order to use these titles. This is the case in Austria , Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK. In some of these countries, it may be obligatory to possess the title in order to carry out certain work.
The profession is regulated, registration is obligatory and recognition is therefore necessary in order to practice. This is the case in Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Malta, Poland, Portugal and Spain.

The legal framework

The engineering profession is regulated under Council Directive 89/48/EEC, also called the First General System Directive. This concerns the recognition of professional qualifications obtained on the basis of a post-secondary course of at least three year’s duration at a university or establishment of higher education.
In order to be recognised, an applicant must prove that he or she has successfully completed a post-secondary course of at least three years’ duration, at a higher education establishment. If the duration of the education and training is at least one year less than that required in the Member State where the applicant wants to be recognised, this Member State may require proof of professional experience of a maximum of twice the shortfall in duration of education and training. For example, the MEng title requires four years of study in Britain, while in Spain the period of study for the equivalent title is five years. Consequently, the Spanish authorities may ask a British engineer for proof of maximum two years of professional practice in addition to the study period.
If the matters covered by the education and training for the same profession differ substantially, a Member State may ask the applicant to undergo an adaptation period or an aptitude test. The Member State has an obligation to give the applicant the choice between the two.
All applicants are judged on an individual basis under the Directive. This means that recognition is not automatic, and an authority may refuse to approve an applicant if it deems that he or she does not fulfil the criteria. All Member States are obliged to have an appeal procedure, which in most cases would entail the right of the applicant to appeal against the decision before a court of law or a tribunal, in accordance with national law.
It is not possible for individuals to take their case directly to the European Court of Justice (ECJ) if recognition is not granted. If the appeal procedure involves a national court of law, this court of law would normally ask for an opinion from ECJ on the interpretation of the Community legislation. The Court has given a number of judgements on this over the years, so there is a solid amount of case law related to recognition of qualifications.
However, if it is thought that a country systematically fails to implement correctly the Community legislation, this can be brought to the attention of the European Commission, which may initiate infringement procedures and take the Member State in question to Court for wrongful implementation of Community rules. Such a case is currently with the ECJ concerning the recognition of engineers and teachers in Greece.
The European Commission and the EU Member States have established a system called SOLVIT to deal with problem resulting from possible misapplication of Internal Market Rules by a public administration in another Member State. The system deals with applications from individuals and companies. The system is free of charge.
The system operates through a network of SOLVIT Centres based in the national administration of each Member State. Your local SOLVIT Centre (known as the "Home" SOLVIT Centre) will first check the details of your application. It will then enter your case into an on-line database system, allowing it to be forwarded automatically to the SOLVIT Centre in the other Member State where the problem has occurred (known as the "Lead" SOLVIT Centre). The Lead SOLVIT Centre confirms within one week whether or not it will take on your case. The target deadline for finding a solution to the problem is ten weeks.
SOLVIT constitutes an alternative dispute resolution mechanism. Proposed solutions are non-binding on the applicant and cannot be challenged. Nevertheless, if a problem goes unresolved, or if an applicant considers a proposed solution to be unacceptable, more formal proceedings can still be initiated.

Recognition in practice

If you plan to go to another EU Member State to work as an engineer, and the profession or title is regulated in that country, you should send your application as early as possible, as the process may take several months.
In the following is a description of the situation in each country, with names and addresses of the authority examining applications or to a contact point which can guide you as to the proper procedure.
As a general rule, the authority will ask you to produce at least the following documents. However, you should always check with the relevant authorities which documents should be provided:
  • Proof of nationality
  • Qualifications and diplomas
  • Certificate stating the length and content of your education and training
  • CV
  • Proof of relevant work experience (where relevant)
  • Proof of membership in a professional organisation and right to use the protected title of your country (where relevant)
This is an indicative list only, and authorities in some countries may ask for additional documentation. Some countries will require official translations of all documents and certified copies if originals are not submitted.

Language competence

The current EU legislation does not cover the issue of language competence as such. Normally it would be expected that anyone going to work in another country would have knowledge of the language and culture of that country, and a potential employer would possibly not hire anyone who cannot communicate in the local language.
As to the process of recognition, however, some countries do require that the applicant can demonstrate language skills before recognition is granted. This is the case e.g. in Hungary, Portugal and Spain. Whether this is in line with the spirit of the EU legislation has never been tested – it seems that so far the European Commission has not challenged this practice – and no case has been brought before the Courts on this issue. The current trend seems to be that refusing recognition to someone on the basis of poor language skills would be acceptable, if it can be demonstrated that knowledge of the language is necessary to perform the work. (This is certainly the case for other professions, e.g. doctors.) The new Directive (see next page) puts an obligation on applicants to have knowledge of the local language.
If you are looking to work in another EU country, you should be aware of this issue. As a general rule, it is always an advantage to have at least basic knowledge of the local language (and the culture) before seeking recognition and employment, and in some countries it is mandatory.

The role of FEANI and the Eur Ing title

FEANI, the European Federation of National Engineering Associations, unites national engineering associations from 25 European countries. The UK is represented by the Engineering Council. FEANI is striving for a single voice for the engineering profession in Europe.
FEANI is guardian of the EurIng designation, which is designed as a guarantee of competence for professional engineers. The designation is intended to facilitate the movement of practicing engineers within and outside the geographical area represented by FEANI's member countries and to establish a framework of mutual recognition of qualifications in order to enable engineers who wish to practice outside their own country to carry with them a guarantee of competence. All engineers granted the Eur Ing designation are entered in a FEANI Register.
In order to qualify for the EurIng designation, the following requirements must be met:
  • Minimum three years of engineering education recognised by FEANI, and given by a university (U) or other recognized body at university level, admitted by FEANI (see FEANI Index).
  • Minimum two years of valid professional experience (E).
  • In case the education and experience together is less than the minimum seven years formation required, the balance to seven years should be covered by education (U), experience (E), or training (T) monitored by the approved engineering institutions, or by preliminary engineering professional experience.
The European Commission, in a statement to the European Parliament, has recognized the FEANI Register and the EurIng designation as valuable tools for the recognition of national diplomas among member states. The Commission considers that an engineer who has obtained the title of Eur Ing should not normally be required to undertake an adaptation period or sit an aptitude test, as provided for in Article 4 of Directive 89/48/EEC.
FEANI also maintains an index listing the institutions of engineering higher education in the 25 European countries represented within FEANI as well as those institutions in France and Norway, and their engineering courses, which are all recognized by FEANI as fulfilling the mandatory education requirements for the EurIng designation. The index also contains short descriptions of the national education systems of the countries.
If the new framework Directive for the recognition of professional qualifications is adopted with the introduction of a “common platform” (see below), FEANI would like to see a formula reflecting the EurIng formation and referring to the FEANI Index to form the basis for such a common platform for the recognition of engineers.

A new Directive for the recognition of qualifications

On 6 June 2005, a new Directive on the recognition of professional qualifications was adopted following agreement between the European Parliament and the Council of Ministers. The Directive is based on a proposal by the European Commission from 2002, as part of an all-embracing strategy to simplify and codify European legislation relating to the internal market. The new Directive will replace all the existing Directives in this area, both the so-called “sectoral” Directives, which cover the medical and para-medical professions as well as architects, and the three “general systems”, which cover all other regulated professions.
The new Directive does not introduce a totally new regime; the main principles and practices of the current Directives are maintained. However, there are some important changes which will alter the way Member States deal with applications. The main points are as follows:
  • The Directive introduces five levels of qualifications, the highest level being based on at least four years of full-time education from a university or other higher education establishment. The second highest level covers education of at least three but less than four years.
  • It shall be easier to provide cross-border services. If a professional moves to another country for a shorter period to carry out work, it shall be considered provision of services, and no recognition is necessary (with a few exceptions).
  • Professional bodies at a European level can agree on a "common platform", i.e. establishing a set of criteria the fulfilment of which would grant recognition more or less automatically, if the common platform is approved by the European Commission.
  • The "sectoral" approach is maintained for the medical and paramedical professions (vets, pharmacists, midwives etc.), and for architects. There are specific Annexes to the Directive establishing "minimum training conditions" which all EU countries should apply. This means that the education and training for these professions is to some extent harmonised throughout Europe, and the member states must notify and get approved the officially recognised titles which fulfil the criteria of the directive. Those who hold an "accredited" diploma and the right to use the protected title and practice as a doctor or architect are granted automatic recognition in any other Member State. Currently there are separate Directives for each of these professions. Engineering, however, will be covered by the general system of recognition.
  • There are a number of changes in administrative procedures. One important aspect is that the competent authority for granting recognition must give a reply within three months from receiving an application. There will be sanctions against authorities which do not comply with this.
  • For the first time, the Directive puts an obligation on those benefiting from recognition of having the language skills necessary for practicing the profession in the host member state. It does not say, however, how Member States shall ensure that this requirement is fulfilled. The Directive does not open for obligatory language testing as part of the recognition process.
Member States have two years to implement the Directive in national legislation, meaning that it will come into force in the autumn of 2007. Until then the rules of the old Directive apply.

Useful internet links:

Member States of the European Union

In Austria, engineers must be registered as “Ziviltechniker” or “Ingenieurkonsulent” in order to practice.
Authority for examining applications:
Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Angelegenheiten
Abteilung III/7
Stubenring 1
1010 Vienna
Professional body:
Österreichischer Ingenieur- und Architekten-Verein
Eschenbachgasse 9
1010 Vienna
http://www.oiav.at/ (in German)

The engineering profession is not regulated in Belgium, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications.
Professional body:
Federation Royal d’Associations Belges d’Ingenieurs Civils et d’Ingenieurs Agronomes
Rue Hobbema 2
Koninklijke Vlaamse Ingenieursvereniging vzw
Desguinlei 214
2018 Antwerpen

The engineering profession is regulated in Cyprus. A civil engineer must be registered and have a valid licence to practice, which must be renewed annually. The authorized body for the registration of all engineers is the Technical Chamber of Cyprus. In order to register as a civil engineer, you must have a recognized academic qualification and at least one year of practical experience. The academic qualifications are assessed and approved by the Technical Chamber of Cyprus.
Authority examining applications:
Technical Chamber of Cyprus
Kerverou 8
1016 Nicosia
Tel. +357 22877644
Fax +357 22730373
e-mail: cyprus@etec.org.cy

Czech Republic
There are two levels of degree, Bachelor of Science (3-year education) and Master of Science (5-year education).
The engineering profession is not generally regulated in the Czech Republic. The title “inženýr” is an academic title awarded after completing an engineering course at a university.
Construction projects can be submitted to the authorities for approval only by an “autorizovaný inženýr” - authorised engineer. Also, execution of projects can be managed by an authorised engineer only. An engineer can obtain the authorisation certificate from “Česká komora autorizovaných inženýrů a techniků činných ve výstavbě” (Czech chamber of certified engineers and technicians) on the basis of submitted evidence on education achieved, minimum three year professional experience and successful examination by the Chamber.
Engineers from other European Union countries, both resident and visiting, can use the recognized academic title or its abbreviation as issued by the relevant EU member state. Resident or visiting persons who satisfy the formal qualification and professional experience requirements can use the title “autorizovaný inženýr”.
Contact point:
Mr. Jiri Plicka
Vice-President for Foreign Relations
Česká komora autorizovaných inženýrů a techniků činných ve výstavbě
Sokolská 15
Praha 2 120 00
Tel.: +420 227 090 111
http://www.ckait.cz/ (In Czech)

The engineering profession is not regulated in Denmark, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, the official academic titles “Civilingenior”, “Teknikumingenior” and “Diplomingeniřr” are protected by law. Engineers from other European countries who wish to use one of these titles in Danish must ask for recognition.
Contact point for information:
Erhvervs- og Selskabsstyrelsen
Kampmannsgade 1
1780 Copenhagen
Professional body:
Ingeniřrforening i Danmark
Vester Farimagsgade 29
1780 Copenhagen V
http://www.ida.dk (in Danish, some pages in English)

The engineering profession is not regulated as such, but engineers are obliged to register at the Ministry of Economy and Communication of Estonia if they work as entrepreneurs (defined as construction contractors, design contractors, performers of geotechnical site investigations, expert assessors of construction projects and works and a contruction management contractors).
The Estonian Association of Civil Engineers (EIL) was established in 1991. It is a voluntary and non-profit association for civil engineers. The Estonian Association of Engineers awards the title Estonian Chartered Engineer to those engineers who have at least four years of university education, two years of further university education or supervised training and two years of work experience.
Majandus- ja Kommunikatsiooniministeerium
Harju str. 11
15072 Tallinn
Phone: +372 6 256 342
Fax: +372 6 313 660
e-mail: info@mkm.ee
http://www.mkm.ee/eng/ (in English and Estonian)
Professional body
Eesti Inseneride Liit
Ehitajate tee 5, VB 403
Tel +372 620 24 81
Fax +372 620 24 82
e-mail: eil@insener.ee
http://www.insener.ee/ (in Estonian)

The engineering profession is not regulated in Finland, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, the official academic title ““rakennusinsinööri” is protected by law. Engineers from other European countries who wish to use this title in Finnish (or its equivalent in Swedish, “civilingenjör”) must ask for recognition.
Contact point:
PL 380 00
531 Helsinki
Professional body:
Suomen Rakennusinsinöörien Liitto (RIL)
Dagmarinkatu 14
FIN-00100 Helsinki
tel. + 358 9 684 0780
fax + 358 9 588 3192
http://www.ril.fi/Resource.phx/english/index.htx (pages in English, main pages in Finnish and Swedish)

The engineering profession is not regulated in France, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, the academic title “Ingénieur Diplômé” (followed by name of academic institution) is protected by law. The CNISF (see below) has launched a national register to which all engineers with this academic diploma automatically belong. Qualified engineers from other European countries may apply to be admitted to the register. Applications should be sent to CNISF.
It should be noted that CNISF is not a qualifying body as such. The register includes diplômés of engineering without engineering experience (having become statisticians, administrators, etc.) or engineers without formal learning who are qualified through practical experience (electricians, mechanics, entrepreneurs - similar to the mature candidate route). However, the CNISF register is the only across-the-board list of engineers qualified through French Engineering colleges, Universities or working experience.
Authority and Professional body:
Conseil National des Ingénieurs et des Scientifiques de France (CNISF)
7 rue Lamennais
75008 Paris
http://www.cnisf.org/index.html (in French)

In Germany, it is only compulsory to register with a Chamber in order to practice as a consulting engineer and use the title “Beratender Ingenieur”. For other engineers, membership is voluntary. It is only possible to be member of the Chamber of the “Land” (region) in which you live and work.
The recognition of engineering qualifications is the responsibility of the individual Länder. Applications must be sent to the competent authority (Ingenieurkammer) in the Land where recognition is sought. The contact point listed below can supply further details.
The title “Diplom-Ingenieur” is an academic title awarded after completing a “Diplomstudium” at a university or “Fachhochschule”.
Candidates need to produce proof of nationality, qualifications and diplomas, certificates concerning professional experience and a certificate stating that you are fully qualified as an engineer (e.g. having status as Chartered).
Contact point:
Mr. Günther Reuhl
Kultusminister Konferenz
Nassestrasse 8
53 113 Bonn
Kochstrasse 22, D-10969 Berlin
TEL: 030/2534-2900
http://www.bundesingenieurkammer.de (in German and English)
(This is the umbrella organisation for the Chambers of the Länder.)
Professional bodies:
Verein Deutscher Ingenieure
Graf-Recke Strasse 84
Postfach 10 11 39
40002 Dusseldorf
e-mail: kundencenter@vdi.de
http://www.vdi.de (in German, some pages in English)

In order to practice as an engineer in Greece, you have to be registered with the Technical Chamber of Greece.
The European Commission has filed a case against Greece with the European Court of Justice for failure to implement correctly the Community legislation with regard to teachers and engineers. The Commission claims that the requirements for recognition as detailed in the Greek government’s decree go beyond what is allowed by Directive 89/48/EEC. A judgement by the Court is still pending.
Authority for examining applications:
Technical Chamber of Greece
4 rue Karageorgi
e-mail: support@tee.gr
http://www.tee.gr (in Greek)
http://www.teepatra.tee.gr/tcg.htm (information in English)
Professional Body:
The Association of Civil Engineers of Greece
89 Kallirois Street
11745 Athens
http://www.spme.gr/01enspme.htm (in English)
e-mail: info@spme.gr

In Hungary, persons intending to perform engineering design activities, must obtain a designer’s entitlement, and a special expert’s entitlement is required before an expert opinion or advice can be given.
The criteria of obtaining entitlements are as follows:
  • Membership of the Hungarian Chamber of Engineers ( HCE) with paid membership fee.
  • “Entitlement Licence” issued upon application by the HCE and entry into the Chamber’s official “Register of Designers and Experts”.
For citizens of the European Economic Area, granting membership to and establishing entitlement of non-Hungarian citizens is administered by the Chamber and the competent ministry. The Chamber submits applications to the ministry and, relying on the resolution passed by the ministry, decides on the entitlement. Engineers who wish to practice in Hungary are obliged to ensure the use of Hungarian language in all services offered and in all reports and documents intended for use in Hungary.
Authority and Professional body:
Magyar Mérnöki Kamara
1094 Budapest
Angyal utca 1-3
Phone: (1) 455-70-80
Fax: (1) 455-7089
e-mail: info@mmk.hu
http://www.mmk.hu/ (in Hungarian)
http://www.mmk.hu/upload/pdf/nonhun.pdf (information in English)

The engineering profession is not regulated in Ireland, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, in order to use the title “Chartered Engineer”, you must qualify through a professional review and become members of the Institution of Engineers of Ireland.
Authority for examining applications and Professional body:
The Instituton of Engineers of Ireland
22 Clyde Road
Dublin 4
e-mail: info@iei.ie
http://www.iei.ie/Home/index.asp (in English)
ICE has a Mutual Exemption Agreement with the Institution of Engineers of Ireland.
(Note: As the UK has the identical title, an agreement has been made between Ireland and the UK whereby British engineers working in Ireland may use the designatory letters CEng UK without asking for recognition.)

In order to practice, Italian engineers are required to pass a State examination and register with a local office of l’Ordine degli Ingegneri. In addition, in order to perform professional activities covered by law, it is necessary to enrol in the local register (Albo Provinciale degli Ingegneri). There is one local register in each provincial capital, in total 109.
Authority for examining applications:
Ministero di Grazia e Giustizia
D.G. Affari Civili e Libere Professioni
Via Arenula 71
00186 Rome
Professional body:
Consiglio Nazionale Degli Ingegneri
Via Quattro Novembre
114 00187 Rome
e-mail: segreteria@cni-online.it
http://www.tuttoingegnere.it/web/ENG/ (in Italian and English)
(The Consiglio can provide addresses of the local “Ordini”.)

In order to work as an independent civil engineer in Latvia, it is necessary to register with the Institute of Certification at the Latvian Association of Civil Engineers. Registration is granted after completion of a 5-year university education and three years of work experience, or a 3-year degree followed by 5 years of work experience.
Authority for examining applications and professional body:
Latvijas Buvinženieru Savieniba
Kr. Barona iela 99
Riga, LV-1012
e-mail: lbs@apollo.lv

The engineering profession is not regulated in Lithuania. Lithuanian engineers who have completed a four-year Bachelor degree or a 5-6-year Masters degree may practice in Lithuania.
Professional body:
Lietuvos statybos inzinieriu sajunga
Address: Kalvariju g. 1
2005 Vilnius
Telephone: (5) 2636112

Engineers who wish to practice as independent consultants have to be registered with “l’Ordre des Architectes et des Ingénieurs-Conseils (OAI)”, who require a "Bologna Masters" equivalent.
As well as registering with the OAI, it is also required to have a "droit d'etablissement" (authority to set up business as a professional) with the Ministčre des Classes Moyennes du Tourisme et du Logement, 6 av. Emile Reuter, L-2937, Luxembourg.tel. +352 478-1.
Contact point:
Ministčre de l’Education Nationale
29 rue Aldringen
2926 Luxembourg
Authority for examining applications:
l’Ordre des Architectes et des Ingénieurs-Conseils
8, rue Jean Engling
1466 Luxembourg
Phone: + 352 42 24 06
http://www.oai.lu/ (in French and English)
e-mail: OAI@pt.lu
Professional body:
Association Luxembourgeoise des Ingenieurs
4-6 bld. Grande- Duchesse Charlotte
L-1330 Luxembourg
Tel. +352 451354.

In Malta it is necessary to get recognised and register with “Kamra tal-Periti” (Chamber of Architects and Civil Engineers) in order to practice as a civil engineer. Recognition is given by a Board (Bord tal-Warrant tal-Periti) established by the Ministry for Resources and Infrastructure, upon recommendation from the Chamber. Once recognised, you can use the protected title “Perit”.
Authority for examining applications:
Bord tal-Warrant tal-Periti
Ministry for Resources and Infrastructure,
Floriana CMR 02
Phone: 21 222 378
Fax: 21 243 306
http://www.mri.gov.mt/ (in English and Maltese)
Professional body:
Kamra tal-Periti
Sliema Road
Gzira GZR 06
Phone: + 356 21312888
Fax: + 356 21343002
e-mail: mfpb@maltanet.net
http://www.mfpa.org.mt/index.htm (in English)

The Netherlands
The engineering profession is not regulated in The Netherlands, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, the official academic title “ingenieur (ir/ing)” is protected by law. Engineers from other European countries who wish to use this title must ask for recognition.
Authority examining applications:
Informatie Beheer Groep
Postbus 30157
9700 LJ Groningen
Professional body:
Het Koninklijk Instituut van Ingenieurs KIVI-NIRIA
Prinsessegracht 23
Postbus 30424
2500 GK The Hague
e-mail: kivi@kivibur.nl
http://www.ingenieurs.net/Resource.phx/community/mainpage/mainpage.htx (in Dutch and English)

In Poland, civil engineers who are working as independent experts and consultants are obliged to register with the Chamber of Civil Engineers. Registrants should have a second-cycle degree from university (in Poland normally 5 1/2 years) and two years of experience.
Polska Izba Inżynierów Budownictwa (Polish Chamber of Engineers)
Ul. Świętokrzyska 14
00-050 Warszawa
Phone: +48/22/8283189
Fax: +48/22/8270751
e-mail: biuro@piib.org.pl
http://www.piib.org.pl/ (Polish and English)
Professional Body:
Zarząd Główny Polskiego Związku Inżynierów i Techników Budownictwa
Ul. Świętokrzyska 14
00-050 Warszawa
Phone: +48 (22) 826-14-22
Fax: +48 (22) 826-86-34
e-mail: biuro@zgpzitb.org.pl
http://www.zgpzitb.org.pl/ (in Polish)

In order to practice as an engineer in Portugal, it is obligatory to be registered with “A Ordem dos Engenheiros” if a Chartered Engineer or with “O Conselho Coordenador dos Institutos Superiores Politécnicos” if a Technician. The title of “Engenheiro” or “Engenheiro Civil” is protected by law.
To sign contracts, one must certify in accordance with Portuguese legislation and regulations, which means that knowledge of the language is necessary. Otherwise designs can be done to EU norms. Projects must be in Portuguese, and the minimum requirements are:
  • Calculations
  • Measurements and Estimates
  • Drawings and any other written material required.
Authority examining applications and professional body:
Ordem dos Engenheiros
Av António Augusto de Aguiar No. 3-D
1069-212 Lisboa
e-mail: ordeng@mail.telepac.pt
http://www.ordeng.pt/default2.html (in Portuguese)

In order to work as an independent civil engineer it is necessary to register with the Slovak Chamber of Civil Engineers. In accordance with Slovak law the Chamber issues certificates to authorized engineers for carrying out complex architectural and engineering services and connected technical advice, which includes professional activities in building construction and civil engineering. This means consultancy design, static analysis as well as technical, technological and energetic equipping of buildings. Furthermore, authorized engineers may provide technical and economic advisory services, expert’s opinions, and professional supervision of building in accordance with the design documentation. The certificates are issued to Slovak engineers who pass an examination in front of the Board of Examiners of the chamber.
Citizens of other EU countries seeking recognition must submit an application in Slovak language to the Chamber.
Authority and professional body:
Slovenská komora stavebných inžinierov
Mýtna 29
P.O.BOX 10
810 05 Bratislava
Phone: 02/52495042
Fax: 02/52444093
e-mail: sksi@nextra.sk
http://www.sksi.sk (in Slovakian)
http://www.sksi.sk/buxus/generate_page.php?page_id=441 (information in English)

The title “Inženir” is protected by law and granted by the Chamber of Engineers. After a four year degree course and three years of practice, graduate engineers are obliged to take the Chamber’s State Certification examination in the knowledge of laws, regulations and technical standards. The title of Certified Engineers can be used only by those who pass this examination.
Authority examining applications
Inženirska Zbornica Slovenije (IZS)
Jarška cesta 10b
1000 Ljubljana
Telephone: 01/ 547 33 33 (centrala)
Fax: 01/ 547 33 20
e-mail: izs@izs.si
http://www.izs.si (in Slovenian)
Professional body
Zveza Društev Gradbenih Inženirjev in Tehnikov Slovenije
(Union of Association of Civil Engineers and Technicians)
Karlovška 3
SI - 1000 Ljubljana
e-mail: gradb.zveza@siol.net
http://www.zveza-dgits.si/ (in Slovene)

It is obligatory to be registered with “el Colegio de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos” (for Chartered Civil Engineers) or with “el Colegio de Ingenieros Técnicos de Obras Públicas” (for Engineering Technicians).
Authority examining applications
Ministerio de Fomento
Subdirección General de Normativa y Estudios Técnicos y Análisis Económicos
Paseo de la Castellana, 67
28071 Madrid
However, applications may be sent through the professional body, with which all professional engineers in Spain must be registered in order to practice:
Colegio de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos
c/ Almagro 42
28010 Madrid
e-mail: 17tbm@ciccp.es (for the attention of Teresa Bauzá)
web: http://www.ciccp.es/ (in Spanish)
Learned society:
Asociación de Ingenieros de Caminos, Canales y Puertos
calle General Arrando 38
28010 Madrid
http://www.ingenieria-civil.org/ (in Spanish)

The engineering profession is not regulated in Sweden, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, the official academic title “civilingenjör V och S,” is protected by law. Engineers from other European countries who wish to use this title must ask for recognition.
Contact point:
Box 7851
103 99 Stockholm
Professional bodies:
Svenska Väg- och Vattenbyggares Riksförbund (SVR)
Drottninggatan 88 C
Box 1334 111 83 Stockholm
e-mail: katarina@svr.se
http://www.svr.se/ (This is a learned society for civil engineers.)
Civilingenjörsforeningen (CF)
Box 1419
111 84 Stockholm
e-mail: info@cf.se
http://www.cf.se/cfweb/valkommen (in Swedish and English)
(This is a society for professional engineers of all disciplines.)

United Kingdom
The engineering profession is not regulated in the United Kingdom, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as an engineer.
However, the professional titles “Chartered Engineer, Incorporated Engineer and Engineering Technician” are legally protected. Engineers from other European countries who wish to use these titles must ask for recognition.
Authority examining applications and professional body:
As there are several institutions in the UK, candidates should apply to the institution in his or her field of engineering. These are the institutions with authority to examine applications:
British Computer Society
British Institute of Non-Destructive Testing
Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management
Institution of Agricultural Engineers
Institution of Civil Engineers
Institute of Cast Metals Engineers
Institution of Chemical Engineers
Institution of Engineering Designers
Institution of Electrical Engineers
Institution of Fire Engineers
Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers
Institute of Healthcare Engineering & Estate Management
Institute of Highway Incorporated Engineers
Institution of Incorporated Engineers
Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
Institution of Mechanical Engineers
Institution of Nuclear Engineers
Institute of Acoustics
Institute of Physics & Engineering in Medicine
Institution of Railway Signal Engineers
Institution of Structural Engineers
Society of Environmental Engineers
Contact point:
Engineering Council
10 Maltravers Street
London WC2R 3ER
e-mail: international@engc.org.uk

Recognition in the EFTA States
The EU legislation on mutual recognition applies equally to Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway as members of the European Economic Area (EEA). As for Switzerland, its bilateral agreement with the EU includes mutual recognition, but there is a transitional period as regards the free movement of workers.

The engineering profession is not regulated in Iceland, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, the official academic title “verkfrćdingur” is protected by law. Engineers from other European countries who wish to use this title must ask for recognition.
Contact point:
Sölvhólsgötu 4
150 Reykjavík
http://eng.menntamalaraduneyti.is/ (pages in English, main pages in Icelandic)
e-mail: postur@mrn.stjr.is

The engineering profession is not regulated in Norway, so there is no need to apply for recognition of qualifications in order to practice as a civil engineer.
However, the official academic title “sivilingenior” is protected by law. Engineers from other European countries who wish to use this title must ask for recognition.
Contact point:
Nasjonalt organ for kvalitet i utdanningen (NOKUT)
Postboks 1708 Vika
0121 Oslo
http://www.nokut.no/sw336.asp (pages in English, main pages in Norwegian)
E-mail: Postmottak@nokut.no
Professional body:
Teknisk- naturvitenskapelig Forening (Tekna)
Dronning Mauds gt 15
N-0201 Oslo
http://www.tekna.no (in Norwegian, some pages in English)

Switzerland and Liechtenstein
In Switzerland it is necessary to be registered with the Swiss Register of Engineers, Architects and Technicians in order to apply for construction competitions in certain Cantons. The French speaking Cantons, Ticino and Lucerne have minimum specific requirements. Swiss Law promotes the principle of choice of education and therefore persons learning by doing are accepted if they can prove capabilities through experience.
There are three levels of Register:
REG A ETHZ,EPFL,(Engineering Universities)IAUG(Architectural School)
REG B HTL/FH (Ingénieur ETS/Ingenieurin HTL, Ingenieur HTL (= Höhere Technische Lehranstalt)/Ingegnere STS
REG C Eidg. Dipl. Baumeister and others
The Swiss register also applies to Liechtenstein, as this country does not hold a register of its own.
Authority examining applications:
Swiss Register of Engineers, Architects and Technicians
Weinbergstrasse 47
8006 Zürich
Tel +41 1 252 32 22
e-mail: info@schweiz-reg.ch
http://www.schweiz-reg.ch (in French, German and Italian)
Contact point:
Federal Office for professional education and technology
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern

ICE contact person:
Oivind Grimsmo
Area Manager Europe

t + 44 (0) 20 7665 2175